A hot Piedmontese dip for raw vegetables.
- 12 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 45g butter
- 2tsp very finely chopped garlic
- 8-10 anchovy fillets finely chopped
- Choose a pot over which you will subsequently be able to rest, double boiler fashion, the saucepan in which you are making the Bagna Cauda. Put water in it and bring it to a lively simmer.
- Put the oil and butter in the pan for Bagna Cauda, turn the heat to a medium low and heat the butter until it is thoroughly liquefied and just barely begins to foam. If you let it get past this stage, it will become too hot.
- Add the garlic and sauté very briefly. It must not take on any colour.
- Place the Bagna Cauda pan over the pot with simmering water. Add the chopped anchovies and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon while using the back of it to mash the anchovies until they dissolve into a paste. Add salt, stir and bring to the table over a warming apparatus.
- Serve with a selection of raw vegetables.
Like this Bagna Cauda recipe? See more healthy Italian recipes.
Copyright Sophie Braimbridge.