- 150g x 4 swordfish or tuna steaks
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed with salt
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
- 50g [2oz] anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, or dried oregano, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large beef tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper
Mix the garlic, capers, anchovies, herb, lemon, extra virgin olive oil and tomato together and leave to marinate for 10 minutes. This can be prepared in advance.
Prepare a barbecue, griddle or grill. Make sure the swordfish are patted dry with kitchen towel and lightly brush with the oil.
Season with salt and pepper and sear on a high heat until the fish are just cooked, about 2 minutes either side, depending on the thickness of the steaks. If it’s preferred completely cooked through then just cook a little longer.
It’s quite hard to tell if the flesh is ready apart from just bending the centre of one steak to check it is correctly cooked. Turn it over when serving, no one will notice.
Place the swordfish on to a plate, draining on kitchen towel if very oily and drizzle over the sauce.
Serve with grilled aubergines and bruschetta to finish up the sauce.